Saturday, February 25, 2006

When is it new or the same old thing?

I think that instrumentalists that look to be the best in a large ensemble has vastly different goals than the instrumentalist that is working to play in an ensemble that requires improvisation. I used to play clarinet in a concert band where I could hide and play the "part" notated in front of me. When I moved to a jazz ensemble (especially a small group) there was so much more required of me to participate. I needed a vastly increased knowledge of theory. I was also required to listen to the other performers so that I did not "collide" with them musically.

I find it interesting that educators are not in agreement on the “best musicians”. An orchestra conductor is not interested in musicians who want to improvise. Improvisers often cannot play an accurate performance of a notated score. So aren’t these musicians different?

Personally, I want to play what I want when I feel the need. I temper it when other musicians are in the room. I play exactly what is printed in front of me when the pay is good. I guess it then becomes a job.

No comments: