Saturday, July 30, 2011

Losing a Friend

Went to a memorial service today. Gordon Baker. The family was there to celebrate this wonderful life. I had not been in this community for more than 20 years. I knew a fraction of those there. I did know the major participants.

What a feeling to be the next generation to "go". The entire audience was above 50 but the range still seemed extreme. There were those who did not recognize me (funny how I did not recognize my own aging process.)

Gordon Baker was a great man. We miss his fairness and compassion.

It was a great celebration. There were those that seemed unchanged (but older).

Although attempted, I was not able to recreate the bonds that were once there. Sad. It became an event of remembrance.

I guess this is the next stage. Losing a spouse, sister or brother will be difficult to the extreme. This experience is just a reminder of this.

The wonderful plus is that those that I will eventually lose -- or they lose -- have given great value already.

Hurray for the continuance of what we have and vision.

Don

2 comments:

Beth Megill said...

Becoming the next generation is something I am feeling very acutely at the moment. Some one remarked the other day that a man was 35 and entering into middle age. Yikes! 31 turned a different shade at that point.

But, as I watch my generation giving birth and growing families, I see how yours is saying its respective goodbyes. My own mortality has been peaking out recently too. I find myself hesitant to walk up stairs with my hands full out of fear of falling. . . and I have good "dancer" balance.

Where did this come from and when did this start? I'm not entirely sure. But it seems to coincide with a new found fascination with the deepening wrinkles on my forehead.

No longer am I smooth and soft. I am adorned with the nicks of age like the minor dings on a car door.

But, I still walk up the stairs with my hand full and in no way will I stop smiling or making my iconic faces. But, I admit. I am scared to experience loss not off myself but those around me. Those whom I love so completely and unabashedly.

That will put my 30 year old wrinkles to shame.

Joan said...

Understanding that we are a part of the cycle of life is humbling, yet comforting. We could wish we were above it, but we do have company on the journey that changes us as we go and gives us great company.

The service sounded wonderful. Sometimes I think such occasions give us a glimpse of the possibilities of a new cycle of which we are unaware and gratitude for those we love who share our present journey.

Yes, hurray for what we share right now!