Sunday, December 06, 2009

Common Ground

Needless to say I'm done with the partisan approach to settling our problems. It is truly hard to find voices on either side that can keep their cool long enough to thoughtfully present their own arguments. So I would like to find a new center for dialog that includes both views that can be appreciated from both sides. I'm not talking about the wimpy center of independents who are more political weather vanes than independent thinkers but voices of reason and tolerance.

So I offer some voices to include in this new pantheon. On the right (I am obviously on the left so I'm on shaky ground here) I would offer David Brooks. I disagree with some of his conservative stands but see him as a man of reason who can support good solutions on either side of the partisan divide. On the left I suggest Tom Hartman from Portland. He is an Air America DJ and I think presents a fair and receptive argument. I would love to see these two lead the new dialog of the center.

This new dialog should not consider any of the loony comments from the extremes. I can list a lot of those I think are loony rights but I'll have to listen to the new center voices who the loony left is that we should exclude (they all seem reasonable to me). I hope others will suggest voices for this new common center ground. If we can amplify their dialog maybe we can get somewhere.

Dave

No comments: