Saturday, November 24, 2007

From one Millennial to another: Go. Do. Be.

As one of the Millennials. . .

I was born on the cusp, just inside the millennial generation (you can do the math). And, I am teaching in essence my own generation at the college level. This both gives me insight into the student perspective and poses an interesting challenge for me, because I am at times trapped by the same conditioning.

First of all, who are the Millennials? We are a generally highly motivated, optimistic group of people who find learning and success relatively easily. However, because we are born of the digital era we have one folly, a disassociated sense of physical self.

(A beautiful example of this is the fact that even as a dance teacher I am sitting here blogging, perpetuating an identity that is unrelated to my physical presence— oh the irony).

Although I teach dance (at least that is what my course numbers say), my primary goal is not dance related at all. It is a process of self-discovery and self-empowerment, a reconnecting to one’s identity through action.

In my classes I aspire to teach others to how redefine themselves through movement. And, trust me there is nothing harder to change than physical habits; neuromuscular connections that have been subconsciously driven home day after day are hard to let go.

Dance allows movers to reinvent themselves through posturing and physical action. You can actually change who you are by how you move. But, be warned, it is a little more challenging than changing the default image on your homepage. Check your posture and what it says about you. Is that who you think you are? Is that who you want to be?

We have the choice to change our mental and emotional landscape through our physical make up. The millennial generation suffers from a shifting identity, a sense of self that is extracted from one’s physical make up and has been siphoned into cyber-identities. You become your projected avatar, but what of the physical body behind the screen?

Dance is an opportunity for one to reconnect with the physicality of identity and actually BE one’s desired identity. It takes Olivia Newton-John’s “Let’s Get Physical” to a whole new level.

So if you are a millennial like me. . . my advice for you is:

Go.
Do.
Be.

Dance.

Beth

No comments: