Friday, December 01, 2006

The Office

I just watched the last episode of The Office and saw an employee trying to impress a co-worker in any manner possible. At the end of the episode, he was playing banjo and singing in a BGs high range. To all a forced expression.

I have always known that talent is a real attractor. True talent is always an attractor but professed talent is weak. I don't know which is more distructive. I believe that individuals who fake talent are a dead end. But the truly talented can make a mess of others lives but be out of touch with their own worth. Duke Ellington gave up baseball to play the piano because it attracted the girls. Lester Young gave up the drums because it took too long to pack them up before the girls left.

Is beauty a talent?

I wonder if the reverse is true. Talent in women seems to take another track. Is being too strong a problem? Is this one of the pressures that hold back women from showing their real talents?

I have two daughters and they are strong, centered, and talented. Not necessarily a result of my involvement. It seems different from their perspective than mine. Interesting.

Don

No comments: