Friday, November 10, 2006

No reason for what you love.

Why is it that you can support a team and at the same time "hate" another team and it is OK? For example, I had a student tell me that she hated the Dallas Cowboys because it was the favorite team of her x-boyfriend. Well, I guess this is enough of a reason. But isn't hate one of those intolerant reactions? Not in sports or musical taste.

Don you like the Beatles?
No!
Why?
They look stupid.

So goes many of the arguments in our world today. In fact, the number one justification for finding something bad is that it is boring. So is my car mechanic but so important to my life.

Personal taste usually needs to be tempered or it is irrational. But sports -- no reason is needed. The college football season is closing and all my friends cheer their team for no reason or the weakest of reason. Such fun. Well USC plays Oregon this tomorrow -- I cheer for anyone who plays USC why? Because I went to UC Berkeley. Is this a reason for such faithful support? In anything else, no. but ..........

Go Bears!

Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love music and will pay extreme prices to hear my favorites perform. On the other hand I thoroughly resent the outrageous amounts of money our Sports Hero's make to play a game, as I barely eek out an existence as a professional blue collar worker, providing a much more necessary function to our community. Or is it? If I don't do my job you don't have anywhere to plug in your desktop or toaster or TV to watch your favorite Music or Sports Hero's. What's worth more?